Saturday, March 7, 2009

Art as Comfort

Two things coincided late in 2008. I got connected to a knitting group at work and started enjoying that craft, and then my father became ill and died. The group at work dispersed after the person who inspired it found another job. But my knitting did not. I found solace through the repetitive motions of making intersecting loops with yarn. It was how I grieved and I didn't want to do anything else. I had no motivation to make jewelry or work with paper or write. But what resulted in that period is a collection of scarves and a cowl that became gifts for family and friends. I found comfort in the activity, but I also gave others a piece of that comfort with those gifts. Now I'm working on a larger piece that will be either an afghan or a baby blanket. We'll see. It's full of imperfections, yet it's soft and textured and subtly colorful. I haven't gotten tired of knitting, but I've found my way out of doing just that. I'm back to making jewelry and even using bolder colors and textural combinations. But the collage is still a struggle. It will come back, too. I have lots of obligations ahead of me where my creations will need to be ready to sell.
In general, I do find art and craft making to be a comfort. When I get into that zone and time slips away, I'm so in that moment! I'm one with the universe and one with my work. And I find that even more ideas come. The door to my creative unconscious opens and the world beyond is filled with possibilities!
I've been knitting a lot tonight, so now it's time to visit my other pleasures. I bought some new materials today so I'm off to see what I can do with them. Maybe I'll talk about that next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment